VINEYARDS: Penedès terroir
- Grape varieties: Xarel.lo, Macabeu, Parellada, Chardonnay and Pinot noir.
- Region: D.O. Cava. Sub region: Upper Penedes (Parellada, Chardonnay and Pinot noir) and Central Penedes (Xarel.lo and Macabeu).
- Altitude of the vineyards: 110m (Xarel.lo), 250m (Macabeu) and 315m (Parellada, Chardonnay and Pinot noir).
- Climate: mild Mediterranean.
- Annual rainfall: an average of 465 litres per square metre. Soil: clay and calcareous.
1st FERMENTATION: must to base wine
- Harvest: hand gathered to select the best grapes. Between August and October when each variety is at its peak of maturation.
- Pressing and must fermentation: pneumatic press. Musts selection, only the best juices will be for the Duran Gran Reserva elaboration.
Each variety of grapes fermented separately at a constant temperature of 16oC in stainless steel tanks.
2nd FERMENTATION: base wine to cava Gran Reserve
- Base wine blending: Xarel.lo 40%, Macabeu 20%, Parellada 15%, Chardonnay 15% and Pinot noir 10%. Bottling period: January.
- Fermentation temperature: 15-18 oC.
- Ageing period: for more than 42 months. Production vintage: 13.995 bottles.
TASTING NOTES AND FOOD AFFINITIES
- Appearance: presents a yellow pale colour with fine and persistent bubbles.
- Aroma: elegant and fresh nose; ripened white fruits with toasty and nutty characters.
- Palate: dry and powerful with long and complex finish. Gastronomy: recommended for red and white meat and cured Iberian ham. Enjoy also at any time of the day or in some aperitifs.
- Tips: served cold, between 6oC to 8oC, in flute glass type, transparent, tall, thin and without decoration.
Owner and oenologist