VINEYARDS: Penedes terroir
- Grape varieties: Pinot noir and Trepat.
- Region: D.O. Cava. Sub region: Upper Penedes (Pinot noir and Trepat).
- Altitude of the vineyards: 450m (Pinot noir and Trepat). Climate: mild Mediterranean.
- Annual rainfall: an average of 515 litres per square metre.
- Soil: clay and calcareous.
1st FERMENTATION: must to base wine
- Harvest: hand gathered to select the best grapes. Between August and September when each variety is at its peak of maturation.
- Pressing and must fermentation: pneumatic press. Press maceration during 12 hours. Musts selection, only the best juices will be for the Duran Gran Reserva elaboration.
Each variety of grapes fermented separately at a constant temperature of 16oc in stainless steel tanks.
2nd FERMENTATION: base wine to cava Gran Reserva
- The base wine blending: Pinot noir 80% and Trepat 20%.
- Bottling period: January.
- Fermentation temperature: 15-18 ºC.
- Ageing period: for more than 48 months. Vintage dated each year.
- Appearance: presents a deep red-coloured cava with fine and persistent bubbles.
- Aroma: fresh, floral, ripened red fruits with slightly nutty nose.
- Palate: perfectly balanced, full-bodied, pleasant with long and clean finish.
- Gastronomy: recommended for aperitif or combined with pasta, rice, blue fish, well-seasoned white meat and red meat stews.
- Tips: served cold, between 6ºC to 8ºC, in flute glass type, transparent, tall, thin and without decoration.
Owner and oenologist